Sunday, February 13, 2011

Stealing Continued....

One night, Ted and Richard sneaked down to a beach near Seattle where landslides had pulled down a cliffside house.  They were after anything they could find.   Ted later came to describe the experience as “really thrilling.” Ted wasn’t a thief in the ordinary sense, he didn’t take money and he wouldn’t take merchandise for the purpose of selling it.  The need was much closer to kleptomania, and it overpowered him.  Yet he was never caught for shoplifting, a remarkable fact in light of the number of thefts he made.  His first principle was anonymity; he wanted to be presentable but forgettable.  After he had put on a good suit and combed his hair, he would down two or three beers.  “I’d drink to pump myself up.  I felt I wouldn’t have any inhibitions.  I didn’t want to be looking over my shoulder and appear nervous. That’s important.” 

Stephen G. Michaud and Hugh Aynesworth, The Only Living Witness (New York: Linden Press/ Simon & Schuster, 1983),

No comments:

Post a Comment